I’m sure most of you have heard about the horrible tragedy in Arizona. If not, here is the run down.
U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was hosting a meet and greet at an Arizona supermarket. Investigators say that 22-year-old Jared Loughner opened fire on staffers and persons standing in line to talk to U.S. Rep. Giffords. The shooting spree ended when three bystanders (one of them a woman) tackled Loughner.
Six people were killed, including U.S. District Judge John M. Roll (who had just left Mass to attend the rally) and a beautiful nine-year-old little girl named Christina Taylor Green, who was ironically born on September 11, 2001. Fourteen people were injured, including U.S. Rep. Giffords, who was shot in the head at point blank range.
Please pray for:
- 1. U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords to make a full recovery. She is a fellow military spouse. Her husband, Navy Capt. Mark Kelly, is a pilot and NASA Astronaut. Giffords is the only member of Congress with an active duty spouse and has been an advocate for military families. She is in critical condition at this time, but the doctors are cautiously optimistic about her recovery.
- 2. The families of those who lost their loved ones to such a senseless tragedy. I can’t imagine the hurt and pain that they must feel.
- 3. The other thirteen people that were injured. They need our prayers while on the road to recovery.
- 4. Justice to be fully served in the trial of Jared Loughner. He planned to die that day, but he didn’t. Therefore, I pray that he will be punished to the full extent of the law for taking innocent lives and injuring over a dozen people.
- 5. The political climate in our country. There is so much bickering and many decisions to be made that affect everyone. Our country has to get on one accord for the sake of the advancement of our nation (Genesis 11:6, Psalm 133:1).